In January 2012, African governments met in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the 20th Ordinary Session
of the Executive Council and 18th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union (AU),
under the theme “Boosting Intra-African Trade”.
Prior to and during the Summit, SOAWR members implemented the following activities:
1. Launch of FEMNET’s multi-country research and documentary on gender-responsive trade
2. Meeting with Pan African Parliament
3. Lobby Visits to Addis-based Embassies on Ratification of the Protocol on the rights of women
4. Participation in the 19th GIMAC Pre-Summit Consultation Meeting
5. Participation in Inter-agency Press Conference
6. Advocacy during the 18th Ordinary Session of the AU Summit
These activities were undertaken by SOAWR members African Women’s Development and
Communication Network (FEMNET), Equality Now, Oxfam and Fahamu. This report provides a
summary of SOAWR activities and a reflection on the successes, challenges, lessons learned, and
opportunities for future engagement.