The groundbreaking Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on Women’s Rights came into force in 2005. The protocol commits the states that sign it to eliminating all forms of discrimination against women.
hat gains and what challenges do we have two years after the entry into force of the Protocol? This is the overall question that the various articles presented in this special issue of Pambazuka aim at addressing. What clearly emerges is that the challenges outweigh the gains made so far.
Ahead of a conference co-convened by the African Union (AU) and SOAWR and held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia between 27 and 30 September, this edition consists of editorials written by SOAWR members and updates about the progress of the campaign from across the African continent.
The pan-African campaign to mobilise support for the ratification of the protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples. Rights on the rights of women in Africa was initiated by the women.s rights organisations Equality Now and FEMNET, together with Credo for Freedom of Expression and Associated Rights, Oxfam GB and Fahamu, publishers of Pambazuka News.
- SOAWR Workshop on the Adoption of the Multi-Sectoral Approach Framework for the Implementation of the AU Women’s Rights Protocol and the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act 2015 8th -9th Dec. 2015 Abuja, Nigeria
- Legislative Advocacy Coalition on Violence Against Women (LACVAW)
- General Comment No. 2 on Article 14.1 (a), (b), (c) and (f) and Article 14. 2 (a) and (c) of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa
- Change Must Be Accelerated to End Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in One Generation
- 11 Years of the Maputo Protocol: Women’s Progress and Challenges *Faiza J. Mohamed
- Tracing the Birth of and Advocacy for the Ratification and Implementation of the AU Protocol on Women’s Rights - Mary Wandia*
- Women’s rights litigation as an avenue to realization of the protection offered by the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa
- 11th Anniversary: AU Women’s Rights Protocol
- SOAWR COALITION CONDEMNS THE UNFAIR DETENTION OF WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS IN EGYPT
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - CONSULTANT: NEPAD SPANISH FUND PROJECT END TERM EVALUATION